Saturday, August 23

Why does a number make such a difference?

Okay, as most of you know, I lost weight while I was in Korea. I look good. I know it. At least I thought I did. For some stupid reason I decided to weigh myself so I could see how much I had lost. Apparently I didn't lose very much. What is it about that number on the scale that seems so important? Before I saw that number I felt great. I knew I looked great, and I was happy with myself. Then I saw the number. All I could think was that number was too high. I was no longer happy with the way I looked because of that stupid number. Before I looked good. Now I'm just fat. All because of a number. Why does a number dictate how I feel about myself? It's stupid.
I think that as a society, we would be better off if we stopped being weight obsessed. Stop going by numbers. The numbers really don't matter. What matters is how we feel about ourselves. The number makes us feel bad about ourselves. So why do we look at it? Why do we have to know what that number is? The number will never be what we think it should be. Knowing it will only make us hate ourselves.
From now on I will refuse to let a number control me. I don't want to know what it is. I will not give a number control. I will go by how good my ass looks in these jeans. It looks good you know.

7 comments:

FourLeafClover said...

The number may be higher because you're more fit now. Muscle weighs more than fat. :) So yes, you have lost weight/look better and the number doesn't seem much smaller. They can both be true.

Anonymous said...

Yes, good ass jeans are important. I just found a pair the other day. Although, because I don't have a mirror that I can see my ass in, I have to go by Tony's opinion, and I think he's biased. Although he does tell me if the jeans are saggy ass jeans. So he might not be too bad.

Anyway, scales suck. You're hot.

Anonymous said...

Robin,
I struggle with the same thing. I'm way fitter now than I ever have been but remain at a relatively high weight due to muscle mass. Enjoy looking good and forget about the numbers.

Glad you're home - hopefully I will get to see you soon. Heidi

Anonymous said...

I think scales are the bane of our society and should be ignored. In any case, you know that you look good and feel good, so you go girl!

Have a great day.

Mom

Diane said...

Bah stupid numbers. I hate the numbers. Numbers on pants, numbers on scales. My butt looks great in these jeans.

Anonymous said...

My scale died shortly before I got pregnant again. I think it was from abuse. I have decided to leave it dead and not replace the batteries because it is better not to know. If only they had the same philosophy at the doctor's office! You look great! Throw out the scale!

armacleod said...

Yeah, muscles and all that. If you really want a good measure of weight loss/ fat loss, you are better off measuring inches. If you lost say 3-7 inches in the waist for example or dropped 2 pants sizes but didn't lose any weight, you know you lost those LDLs and gained HDLs or better yet muscle mass which is all good in any way.