Monday, January 7

I'm proud to be a geek


I had a very exciting evening. My friend brought my clarinet back from Canada for me when she came back. Thank you Sarah. I got it tonight. I was so excited. I could hardly wait to get home to play. It has been a long six months since the last time I played, and my fingers were getting itchy for some music making. I opened the case, held back the tears of joy, and put it together. I got out a new reed. Oh, the grassy taste of new reeds. Nothing compares. I started playing. I sucked. It has been too long. My tone was awful, I couldn't remember how to play all the notes, and my face hurt after playing for ten minutes. Oh well. I will remember, I will get better, and my face will get back in shape. It's worth it. I love to play music. Band night was my highlight of the week. Yes, I'm a geek. I will freely admit it. I love band. I miss it. I'm glad I can start having my own band night. I'm not so sure my neighbours will appreciate it very much, but that's okay. I don't appreciate their early morning kimchi making sessions, so I think we're even. At least it's not my trumpet.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss doing band with both of you. It was a highlight of my week as well. And I haven't been practicing even a little, though I played a little Scott Joplin on the piano the other day. Perhaps we will be able to do it all again sometime.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the clarinet arrived safely. I cheaped out and didn't buy insurance, so I just had to hope in would arrive in the correct number of pieces.

I like geekiness. I'm excited about violin lessons, I get to go again tonight. Yay! I don't play trumpet either. But only until Football season, then Green is the colour. Oh yah.

Joyce

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm a geek too.

Joyce

Anonymous said...

Well, I did my piano practice today (I'm trying to get an hour in a day), and forced Bram to do his (30 min a day). He was complaining that his arm hurt and he couldn't do more than 5 min. at a time - I guess he's not as geeky as he thinks he is.

FourLeafClover said...

We are so looking forward to having you back in our little community band, if you'll have us.

It does hurt playing if you haven't played for awhile, doesn't it? My poor face remembers it well.

Anonymous said...

Josiah has been playing the drums with his spoons on his high chair tray. Maybe he'll be ready to play beautiful music with you when you get home. He also sings in church. Not what everyone else is singing, but he's happy. I think he's already a geek.

Robin said...

Melissa, I don't think Josiah stood a chance of not being a geek.