Sunday, October 14

In our lives we tend to take things for granted. It is so easy to think that something will always be there when we want or need it. Living in a foreign country has made me realize this even more. We went to Seoul this weekend and got to go to a Western restaurant for dinner on Saturday, and then Burger King and Starbucks on Sunday. These aren't things we normally get to do as none of these things exist in Iksan. Aside from family, food is one of the things I miss most. It can be really difficult to buy food from home. Finding celery is next to impossible, and finding Miracle Whip is impossible. Fortunately, there are some foreign food stores. It seems strange to call stores that have food from home "foreign", but in Korea, that is exactly what they are. Today we went to the foreign food market in Seoul. I was so excited to find salt and vinegar chips, and I was practically ecstatic to find a bag of dried chick peas and a box of graham wafers. None of these things would be even remotely exciting to me in Canada, but it's thrilling in Korea. Next time you're in the grocery store and you buy Cheese Whiz, whole wheat bread, or dill pickles, send up a little cheer for me.


We did stuff that didn't involve food this weekend too. I went to the salon and got low-lights put in my hair. My hair looks quite a bit darker now. I absolutely love it. I can't show you yet because I don't have a picture, but I will get one soon. I will let you wait impatiently.

4 comments:

armacleod said...

Sound like you had a good time over the last few days.

Pamela said...

I can remember missing food from Canada while I was in Brazil and being frustrated at not being able to get things such as celery and other things I can't even remember now. It's kind of ironic because now I miss being able buy Brazilian foods. *sigh*

Craig,Leah,Lena said...

did you get enough salt and vinegar chips to SHARE?!!! and you thought i was kidding...

Diane said...

So did you see the fireworks when you were in Seoul? There was a big competition this last weekend.