Sunday, November 4

Octopus and the pomegranate tree




Everyday I walk past this tree on my way to taekwondo. The first time I saw it I had to stop and stare at it because I couldn't figure out what was on the tree. I thought it was really funny looking. I finally recognized that they were pomegranates. Really, who knew that they grew on trees? The things you learn. It really is interesting to see all the new things here. My friend Eun-Ju laughed at me because I had to stop and look at the baby squid at a seafood restaurant. They were swimming around in the tank, how could I not look? She said I was like a child to find everything so interesting. How can you not find squid fascinating? They're pretty cool. So are octopuses. And shrimp. Did you know that they aren't actually pink? Living in Saskatchewan the only shrimp you see are the frozen ones in the shrimp ring. Here I get to see the live ones. They're grey, with lots of legs. They really are quite nasty looking. At least they taste good. Seeing all the variety makes me think that God is very creative. He must have a good sense of humour, too. How can you look at an octopus and not think that it's funny? Look at all those silly legs. Aren't they funny looking? Look at all the colour around. The changing leaves, the sunset, all the different skin tones and eye colours. (Tony's eyes are blue) God is not boring. He loves variety. He gave us all this beauty around us. How often do we actually appreciate it? We complain about the cold. The changing leaves mean that winter is coming and it will be cold. Do we think "wow, the leaves are beautiful, and just think, soon there will be snow to cover everything in a beautiful white blanket"? Maybe we should try to think that way. Let's thank God for all the beauty he has surrounded us with. If we think of blessings first, maybe we will not think of the complaints.



Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Amen

3 comments:

armacleod said...

Perhaps, but then again, you didn't have snow yesterday... That being said, the outdoors are wonderful and God be praised for it.

I think you really start to appreciate everything more when you travel to other countries. Just dealing with the little things to the vast differences you appreciate what you have more and what others have as well.

Diane said...

Xavier and Niles say hi. Nice fruit.

Ian said...

We have some pomegranate's in our kitchen right now; Ruth buys them from the store. Isn't that where they come from? I'm glad that you are enjoying new things and situations. Praise God for such an interesting world.