Tuesday, March 25

14,000 things to be thankful for

No, I'm not going to write 14,000 things to be thankful for. That was the title of a book I came across this weekend while in a bookstore. It was essentially a list of nice things. I don't remember the list, but I have been thinking about it, and I thought I would make my own list and see how many things I can be thankful for today, or just things I like and would like to be thankful for today. Really, it will end up being a list of stuff I like. This is a change from stuff about me, yet it will still give you insight into me.
  1. the smell of the linen closet.
  2. new sheet day
  3. the snap of the taekwondo pads when you get the kick just right
  4. the 'ding' of my oven timer. I just love it. It means the cookies are ready.
  5. the sound of rain on the roof
  6. the smell of rain. You know the smell. Kind of like wet sidewalks.
  7. Big worms on the sidewalk after the rain. It rained this week okay.
  8. a well stocked bookshelf.
  9. the smell of tomato vines
  10. raspberries
  11. laundry fresh out of the dryer. I would really like to be thankful for this.
  12. a glassy smooth lake with the sunsetting over it.
  13. ham
  14. pretty shoes
  15. stepping on crunchy leaves
  16. stepping on that cool ice with the air bubbles underneath
  17. marching bands
  18. playing in the flour container
  19. new notebooks or stationery
  20. chocolate
  21. blankets to wrap up in when it's a little chilly
  22. floor heat. Got to love it.
  23. when the trees are starting to get leaves and there's a kind of green haze all over
  24. hoar frost
  25. the smell of snow when you get up early in the winter to go to Grandma's house.
  26. the smell of fresh bread
  27. eating fresh bread with butter and cheese
  28. sitting around doing nothing with friends
  29. nintendo night with slurpees and lots of giggles
  30. licorice
  31. the northern lights
  32. loons on the lake at night
  33. hot chocolate at camp
  34. wild blueberries
  35. stepping on grasshoppers
  36. heavy blankets on you feet when you go to sleep
  37. waking up to your alarm and then remembering that you don't have to get up so you can just turn it off and go back to sleep
  38. flowers
  39. bamboo windchimes
  40. stained glass windows
  41. old church buildings
  42. church family
  43. singing with everybody
  44. potluck
  45. small groups
  46. sitting around after church and visiting for a long time
  47. church in English
  48. God's unfathomable love
  49. when you can feel God's presence
  50. hope

Okay, I think I will stop there. I'm sure I could think of more things to be thankful for, but I will let you continue the list.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know what else is fun? Playing in dish water. It's warm and there are bubbles. Whisks are fun in dish water too, and the occasional glass, but not too many dishes, that would be work then.

Joyce

Jackie said...

And nice shirts that make your boobs look big...even when they're not. Or a nice aqua bra does the trick too.

I'm also thankful for cool dishes to serve food in. They make me happy.

O, and long english cuccumbers sliced with salt or with poppy seed dressing. I can sit and eat a whole one of those no problem!!

Jennifer said...

I love your blog, Robin. It always brightens my day!

I would add to the list...
Watching a cat laze in the sun.
And joining the cat lazing in the sun!

Oh yeah... and mangoes and icecream!

FourLeafClover said...

Great post... you've inspired me to start a "raindrops on roses" list of my own.